Albuquerque, NM asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for New Mexico

Q: In state of New Mexico, the rules of filing an amended civil complaint, that has been responded by defendant over a year

In 3/22, a civil complaint was filed against me, which I responded and now the plaintiff has hired an attorney, 5/17/23, which filed an amended civil complaint. What is the rules to follow now? Is this not a new complaint?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: You need to file an Answer to the Amended Complaint. If Leave Of Court was not granted to amend the Complaint, you could move to strike it. That will probably not help your case unless there is a violation of the SOL.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.