Asked in Personal Injury and Landlord - Tenant for Puerto Rico

Q: I a 68 y/o lady suffering from the sequela of an assault at an Égida. Can I sue the landlord for damages? Thank you

I have lived at the privately owned/ government subsidized Égida for moderate income seniors for 5 yrs. and had complained to the mgmt./ landlord , for months, about my 4 attackers for harrassment and the lack of security cameras.The physical assault , per se, occurred Nov/24/2022 @ 7:16 pm and I have since been suffering from the sequelae from the brutal injuries and under medical tx and therapy. My assailants were never even reprimanded and are still living at the housing project ,however, in retaliation for complaining of the negligence and injustice done to me, I have been threatened with eviction!!! Have not been able to find legal representation anywhere due to my limited resources. Please help, I only have 6 more months in which to sue. Thank you much⚖️

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: You can sue on or before November 24, 2023. The statute of limitation for this cause of action is one year after the events. I advise that you retain an attorney, who may extend the term by notifying the landlord by way of an extrajudicial letter.

You may procure legal representation through Pro Bono Inc., which is an affiliate of the Puerto Rico Bar College (Colegio de Abogados y Abogadas de Puerto Rico). They'll interview you to determine that you qualify based upon financial need, and will assign an attorney to help you with you case. I cannot provide the Colegio de Abogado's phone # through this platform, but you may obtain the number through the internet.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.