New York, NY asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for California

Q: If a parent loses custody, or the child is emancipated, can they keep the child's personal belongings (such as phone)?

Also, if you would be able to cite a specific law or court case. The state is California.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if a parent loses custody or the child is emancipated, the parent generally cannot keep the child's personal belongings, including their phone, unless there is a court order allowing it. It is typically expected that the child's personal property would go with them when custody is lost or emancipation occurs.

It is recommended to consult with a family law attorney in California who can provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date legal information and cite relevant laws or court cases applicable to your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.