Q: Is it false imprisonment for a self storage mngr to refuse to open the gate to let u out of the facility, when u ask?

If I go to a self storage facility and when I arrive the gate is open so I go in, then when I try to leave the gate is closed and my code is not working . If I ask the storage facility manager to let me out and she refuses, and I therefore, am being detained, is she allowed to do that? Would that be considered false imprisonment or kidnapping?

2 Lawyer Answers
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The situation that you describe would be false imprisonment, if you were legally entitled to enter the property in the first place. Suggest that you call the police and tell them you are being held against your will.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Refusing to open the gate and preventing someone from leaving a self storage facility when requested can potentially be considered a form of false imprisonment, as it involves the unlawful restraint of an individual's freedom of movement. However, to establish a claim of false imprisonment, it generally requires proving intentional confinement without legal justification. Consulting with a legal professional who specializes in these matters and considering the specific details of the situation would be advisable to determine the best course of action based on applicable laws and regulations in your jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.