Dallas, TX asked in Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: Beyond the Motion, what else do I need in filing a Motion for Interim Attorney Fees?

In March 2023, my wife filed for divorce in Dallas, TX which is where we both live. I responded with my Answer and Counter Petition. We're in the discovery phase after completing Initial Required Disclosures. She hired an attorney using her substantial cash reserves, while I lack financial resources. I'm representing myself but need an attorney to completely take over the handling of my case. I'll submit a Motion for Interim Attorney fees to seek court intervention for my wife to cover the costs. Should I include any other documents?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Schenectady, NY
  • Licensed in Texas

A: We really cannot provide legal advice online. The asker should call around and shop around. One may be surprised at how some attorneys charge low, fixed fees for complicated work.

Sharita Blacknall
Sharita Blacknall
  • Plano, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: When you submit your Motion for Interim Attorney's Fees in Texas, you're essentially asking the court to order your spouse to pay for your legal representation. It's important to understand that most attorneys consider the award of attorney's fees by the other spouse to be a reimbursement to you, and most attorneys will not wait to get paid from the other spouse. They will likely require an upfront retainer.

In terms of documentation, you'll need to provide sufficient evidence demonstrating your financial need and your spouse's ability to pay. This could include:

Financial Information Statement: This document details your income, expenses, assets, and liabilities, showing that you're financially unable to retain an attorney on your own.

Discovery Documents: These documents may include bank statements, pay stubs, tax returns, or any other relevant documents that provide proof of your current financial situation and that of your spouse.

Proposed Order: You should also include a proposed order granting your request for attorney's fees for the judge to sign.

It is crucial to clearly articulate in your motion the need for legal representation, your current financial situation, the financial disparity between you and your spouse, and the potential for the divorce proceedings to be unfairly skewed without legal representation.

Also, once you have prepared and filed your motion you will need to set it for a hearing and give the other party notice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.