Atlanta, GA asked in Employment Law for New Jersey

Q: Is there a way around: NJ revised statute Section 43:1-2 - Suspension of right, or disqualification, during confinement

My mother was retired receiving pension from the state of NJ when she passed. By law, I, her benefiary was supposed to continue to receive her pension; however, I am being denied because I am incarcerated.

NJ revised statute Section 43:1-2 - Suspension of right, or disqualification, during confinement in penal institution is the law that backs this.

My question, is there a way around this law and would it be possible to have the pension benefits be given to my 18 year old daughter who is still attending school?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II

A: This doesn't sound like an employment law question to me. I would suggest that you consult with a New Jersey - Criminal law attorney regarding your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.