Louisville, KY asked in Medical Malpractice and Health Care Law for Kentucky

Q: My doctor cut me off of my xaxax's after being on them for 20 years.What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer

A: You cannot force a doctor to continue to prescribe you a controlled substance. Xanax has a number of well-documented side effects including low blood pressure, abnormal liver function, weight gain, lethargy, and, in cases of addiction and overuse, coma or death.

You should ask your doctor the reason for taking you off Xanax after 20 years. You should ask your doctor what treatment is recommended to replace Xanax or if any medication is required anymore.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.