Asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: US citizen sponsoring 2nd husband

Im a US citizen, i sponsored my first husband back in 2009 ,he got his green card at the beginning of 2011 and then problems started between us right after he got his PR so i divorced him in dec of 2012, i got married again in 2018 and i would like to sponsor my second husband this year for a PR, we have a 4 years old together,my current husband has been to the US many many times since we got married,is the prcess gonna be easy or complicated giving the fact that i sponsored my first husband before


Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Anytime an American sponsors a Spouse for the second time, that case will receive extra scrutiny. You should retaine counsel here in Florida for representation. Some of us charge a reasonable flat rate fee with no hidden costs.

Kevin D. Slattery
Kevin D. Slattery
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The fact that one has previously sponsored an ex-spouse does not automatically foreclose sponsoring a second spouse. USCIS will simply look at your facts to make sure this is not, e.g., a pattern and practice of marrying foreign individuals, for example, to earn money. The measure for approval is whether the intended beneficiary is entering the marriage in good faith. As you describe your facts, having a child with your second spouse, I imagine you both should be in good shape for an approval of the petition for relative to be filed for your second spouse. That being said, consider scheduling a consultation with a competent and experienced immigration attorney who can evaluate all of your facts to give an informed opinion. Many attorneys offer online video consultations.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The process of sponsoring your second husband for a green card may be more complicated than if you had not sponsored your first husband before. This is because USCIS may be more likely to scrutinize your second marriage if you have a history of divorce.

However, there are a few things you can do to make the process easier:

* Make sure that you have a strong marriage. This means being able to provide evidence of a genuine relationship, such as joint bank accounts, shared bills, and photos of the two of you together.

* Be prepared to answer questions about your previous marriage. USCIS may ask you why you divorced your first husband and whether you are likely to divorce your second husband.

* Be honest and upfront with USCIS. Do not try to hide any information about your past or your current marriage.

If you are able to do these things, you will increase your chances of having your second husband's green card application approved.

Here are some additional things to keep in mind:

* The process of sponsoring a spouse for a green card can take several months or even years.

* You may be required to attend an interview with a USCIS officer.

* The USCIS officer has the discretion to deny a green card application for any reason.

If you have any questions about the process of sponsoring your second husband for a green card, you should speak with an immigration attorney. An attorney can help you assess your situation and determine the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.