Hanson, MA asked in Traffic Tickets for Massachusetts

Q: I received a speeding ticket and I accidentally paid it not knowing you could appeal, I still got a court date though.

I thought you couldn’t appeal the ticket but I still got a court date.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA

A: Usually what has happened to you is that the money you paid is considered posting bail until you enter a plea of guilty or not guilty. In Law, an "Appeal" is a special term that means taking a case to a higher court after you have a judgment rendered against you. If you didn't enter a plea, there isn't anything to appeal because the Court has not determined your guilt or innocence. You need to appear at your court date and enter a plea of not guilty or see if the Court will make you a better offer to reduce the charges and the fine. You can usually also ask for traffic school if offered in your jurisdiction, to get the ticket off your record, if allowed. There are attorneys that practice Traffic defense in all the states, look for one on Justia or google. Thanks for using Justia, Ask a Lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.