East Orange, NJ asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Personal Injury, Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for New Jersey

Q: If a judgement was rendered on a matter that I failed to submit an answer, do I have any option to appeal?

I received a summons and failed to provide so answer in the allotted time. A judgment was rendered and I have not satisfied it. The judgement was regarding an accident I got into in 2019, I was uninsured at the time. There were only paint scratches to the other person’s car, but they sued me for over $30,000. I wanted to fight it, but I was going through some things at the time and I was unable to find any representation. Is there anything I can do at this time? Can I still fight the judgment? Is there any way to appeal the judgment?

2 Lawyer Answers
Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Depending on how long ago it was, you may be able to file a motion to set aside based on excusable neglect.

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I agree with the answer provided by my learned colleague attorney Selik, But you also need to know that statistically speaking most appeals are NOT successful and it is not a new trial. An appeal is very expensive.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.