Denver, CO asked in Tax Law and Employment Law for Colorado

Q: I think my boss didn’t withheldtax for me.. so I owed so much money end of year.for 3 years..what should I do ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II

A: Both Federal and State laws require employers to withhold taxes, including both your income withholding and the employee's portion of employment taxes (SS, UI, etc) and pay those taxes to the proper taxing agency, whether Federal or State. You need to discuss your situation with either an employee's rights attorney and/or a tax attorney in your local area. You might also want to check with the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment- that oversees payment of wages. There are substantial penalties against employers that mishandle deductions and payment of taxes., Colorado Department of Labor and Employment

633 17th Street, Suite 201

Denver, CO 80202-3660

Phone: 303-318-8000

or contact them on the web. Thanks for using Justia, Ask a Lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.