Miami, FL asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Estate Planning and Collections for Florida

Q: 2006 Judgment Still an Issue--New Developments

01/2003 A credit card debt was acquired by Sarasota CCM and they obtained a judgment in in Illinois.

01/2009 I moved to Florida and three years later they registered the judgment in Florida.

09/2000 They garnished a checking account.

No communication from them between 2006-2020.

After taking the funds from the checking acct the case status was updated to Closed on the Clerks Probate site.

05/2022 they attempt to get a Writ of Execution but court rejects it b/c they listed Sarasota CCM as a foreign authorized corporation

10/2022 they get a Writ of Execution after listing Sarasota CCM as a Rhode Island corporation

No communication since this was granted.

05/2023 Affidavit of Payment and Interest filed. Interest accruing at 9% per annum from 11/01/2005 and has been domesticated in the State of Florida.

Zero communication from anyone.

Case status still shows closed on the Clerks page.

What are my options, what is the best path forward?

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Three options (other than paying in full): 1. Attempt to settle up, such as by offering X cents on the dollar and/or paying in monthly installments over X number of years; 2. File for bankruptcy if eligible (consult a bankruptcy attorney); 3. Determine if you are judgment-proof and can just let them do what they do - but the risk there is that, even if you're judgment-proof now, you may not be at some point in the future when the judgment debt with interest has risen to a much higher level. Though a judgment is valid for only 20 years, the creditor may have the option of filing a new lawsuit near the end of the 20th year to keep the judgment debt alive. By the way, the Clerk's "closed" designation does not prevent post-judgment collection proceedings.

Adam Ira Skolnik , Timothy Denison and Terrence H Thorgaard agree with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.