Bryan, TX asked in Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: Can I file for divorce online without using a divorce service & not appear in court. No kids, no assets,Brazos County,

Can I do all of this using the Texas e-filing portal? Or must I go the clerk's office?

Spouse is incarcerated. Marriage took place during incarceration. Spouse will not contest.

Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Legally, you can always represent yourself in your own divorce proceeding.

It's like rebuilding a car engine. Legally, you can rebuild your own car's engine. It's probably not wise if you don't know what you're doing.

Many people with substantial legal knowledge and experience are perfectly capable of representing themselves in their own divorce proceeding. In fact, I did. It's probably not wise if you don't have that knowledge and experience. In some instances, it's not wise even if you do because you lack objectivity.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.