San Bernardino, CA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for California

Q: Is there a form for “In Loco Parentis” to care for a friend’ds child while he’s away?

I’ve been asked by the parent of a 14-year-old boy if he can stay with me for 9 months while his job requires him to be out of the country. The boy is best friends with my own son of the same age and he wants to stay in his familiar high school with his friends. But I want to be covered legally to handle any medical issues as well as handle any discipline issues on a level playing field with my own son, such as grounding or even corporal punishment. Is there a legal document for In Loco Parentis that I can have his father sign?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: While I can provide general information, it's important to consult with a qualified legal professional for specific advice regarding your situation. In cases where a child is temporarily residing with someone who is not their legal parent or guardian, it can be beneficial to establish a legal arrangement to clarify the responsibilities and authority of the caregiver. However, the specific document or form needed may vary depending on your jurisdiction and the requirements of local laws. An attorney who specializes in family law can guide you on the appropriate legal steps and help draft a customized document, such as a temporary guardianship agreement or power of attorney, that addresses your specific needs and concerns. This legal document can provide you with the necessary authority to make decisions regarding the child's medical care and discipline, within the boundaries allowed by law. Consulting with an attorney will ensure that you have a legally sound arrangement that protects the interests of all parties involved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.