Salt Lake City, UT asked in Contracts and Employment Law for Utah

Q: As an independent contractor, how do I go about after clients who don’t pay after agreeing to a contract?

I was working online remotely for a company based out of California as an independent contractor and they were due to pay the remainder of what they owed us and they never did. The total came out to over $9000 and all attempts to get them to pay have been met with dead ends.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You mentioned in your prompt that they agreed to a contract. I assume that means that you have a contract signed by the company regarding the terms of your services. First look to the contract and see what it says under default.

If you are just using the word "contract" as a job and not a formally written document, you likely still have an oral contract. I would recommend talking to a lawyer to see whether you can do a mechanic's lien or if it is just $900, then your best bet might be small claims court.

I Hope this helps.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: One option is a civil suit, either on your own or through an attorney. If you will be consulting with an attorney, you could make the most of a consult and keep things economical by summarizing things into an outline, including a brief description of the project, your agreement(s), efforts to collect, significant communications, etc. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.