Brunswick, GA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Can my ex-spouse re-request child support in PR after my child turns 18 - IF our custody order was created in a US state

We had a child custody order, and I maintain jursidiction in my state. She moved to PR with child. Based on my state, child support will end at 18. After it's completed, can she in turn file for child support in PR upon my child turning 18 as a new child support case?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: First off, she must reside in Puerto Rico with your child for a year, in order to demostrate residence. Once Puerto Rico is the state of residence, adulthood is achieved upon reaching 21. So long as you pay child support, you can present the case to the court or to ASUME (the Administration for Sustenance of Minors, by its Spanish acronym) to demostrate that an existing court order is active. However, if she decide to go to PR court having residence here, she can certainly request an extension of benefits until your child is 21. If your child decides to go to college, you may be forced to provide child support at least until your child reaches 25.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.