Williamsburg, VA asked in Criminal Law for Virginia

Q: I have filed assault charges on my uni teacher with 3 witnesses. Would it be wise to pay a lawyer or use court-appointed

I am in nursing school and my teacher put her hands on me as 3 of my classmates witnessed. I immediately called my director and made her aware then my instructor told a completely false narrative in writing that I have shown to my witnesses who have confirmed it's false in every aspect but I am nervous because she is well known/trusted. I am scared and want to do what is best for myself.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Faraji A. Rosenthall
Faraji A. Rosenthall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fairfax, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Assuming it's a criminal case, then the case and your interests would be handled by the commonwealth attorneys office. Criminal cases are always the Commonwealth of Virginia v. The defendant (your professor) . You would be a witness, but not a party.

You cannot have a private attorney handle the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.