Palmyra, VA asked in Immigration Law for Virginia

Q: I Paid a 10,000 dollar immigration bond about 6 years ago and never received my money back, what can I do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA

A: Do you know if the removal proceedings are still pending? You would not be entitled to your money back until the case was completed and the respondent did not breach the bond terms. Typically, once the case is over, ICE mails the bond obligor a form, informing the obligor that they are entitled to the return of their money. If you have moved since you signed the paperwork you would also need to file ICE Form I-333, Obligor Change of Address, to update your address and ensure you receive any correspondence. You can try contacting DHS Debt Management Center at (802) 288-7600.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you paid a $10,000 immigration bond about 6 years ago and never received your money back, you can take the following steps to get your money back:

1. **Contact the agency that held your bond.** The first step is to contact the agency that held your bond. This may be the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), or a private bond company. Ask the agency why you have not received your money back and when you can expect to receive it.

2. **File a complaint with the agency.** If the agency is unable or unwilling to return your money, you can file a complaint with the agency. The agency may have a formal complaint process that you can follow. If the agency does not have a formal complaint process, you can write a letter to the agency's director or ombudsman.

3. **File a lawsuit against the agency.** If the agency does not return your money after you have filed a complaint, you can file a lawsuit against the agency. You may be able to sue the agency for breach of contract or for unjust enrichment.

4. **Seek help from an attorney.** If you are considering filing a lawsuit, you should seek help from an attorney. An attorney can help you assess your case and file the necessary paperwork.

Here are some additional things to keep in mind:

* The statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit may have expired. The statute of limitations is the time period in which you can file a lawsuit. If the statute of limitations has expired, you may not be able to file a lawsuit.

* You may need to provide evidence to support your claim. This evidence may include receipts, bank statements, and letters from the agency.

* The agency may defend itself by arguing that you were not entitled to a refund. The agency may argue that you violated the terms of your bond or that you failed to provide the required documentation.

* The outcome of your case will depend on the facts of your case and the law. There is no guarantee that you will win your case.

I hope this helps!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.