Euless, TX asked in Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: I want to file uncontested no fault divorce. Can my spouse contest a divorce for no reason . No kids .No assets .

We never lived in the same house together because of her gambling addiction and she is financially irresponsible habits. She said no when I told I want a divorce and she said she would drive up the cost of the divorce if I tried to divorce her so I couldn't afford one. What can she contest if we don't have anything to divide.She owned her house before we married. I inherited the house I live in and we have no kids or assets because she been financially reckless. Can she just say no to the divorce in order to make it contested.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes. She can just say no. She can refuse to sign an agreed decree.

At some point, you or she will have to set the case for trial and complete pretrial preparations as ordered by the court.

And yes, that will increase your legal expenses if you have a lawyer. By how much depends on exactly what she does and how you choose to react.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.