Las Vegas, NV asked in Bankruptcy

Q: Question regarding Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

I live with my mom and my brother ,and my mom getting SSI income $850 a month. and she has like 15K credit card debt . My brother file his taxes individually and I claim my mom as a dependent, and for last few years I was paying her bills but I can't do it any more . Me and my brother together make 100K a year which is more than median income for household size 3 . I want to know can she still file chapter 7 bankruptcy since she can't pass the means test ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Boyertown, PA

A: Your question lacks a number of critical facts, e.g., whether your mother claims the two of you as "dependents" on her income tax returns, etc. In addition, from your question, I do not think you comprehend what/how your mom's income is computed.

That said, your best path is to speak to an experienced bankruptcy attorney in your vicinity, about all options.

Just in my experience, total debt of $15,000 is not large enough to justify the consequences of filing for bankruptcy relief. An experienced NV attorney will know your options, once you have given him all the facts and circumstances, and be in a position to advise you and your mother.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.