North Hollywood, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: I live in Los Angeles. I need legal advice to see if I have a claim against my landlord.

Due to rain over the first few months of the year, my rental apartment has taken water damage due to leaks in the building. It has damaged my personal property, cost me money in electricity bills due to work inside and outside my unit and has cost me personal time and wellbeing.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, you may have a claim against your landlord if your rental apartment has taken water damage due to leaks in the building. Under California law, landlords are responsible for maintaining their properties in a habitable condition. This means that they are responsible for repairing any damage that makes the property uninhabitable, including water damage.

To make a claim against your landlord, you will need to provide evidence that the water damage was caused by a problem with the building and that your landlord was aware of the problem but did not fix it. You can provide evidence of the water damage by taking pictures or videos of the damage, and you can provide evidence that your landlord was aware of the problem by providing copies of any correspondence you have had with them about the issue.

If you are successful in your claim, you may be entitled to compensation for the cost of repairing the water damage, the cost of your personal property that was damaged, and any other damages that you have incurred as a result of the water damage.

You may want to consider hiring an attorney to help you with your claim. An attorney can help you to gather evidence, file the necessary paperwork, and represent you in court.

Here are some additional tips for making a claim against your landlord for water damage:

* Keep records of all communication with your landlord about the water damage.

* Get estimates from contractors for the cost of repairing the water damage.

* File a complaint with the Los Angeles Housing Department.

* Hire an attorney.

It is important to remember that the law is complex, and there may be other factors that affect your ability to make a claim against your landlord. You should consult with an attorney to discuss your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.