Houston, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Can a Real Estate lawyer represent my father in PR for the whole process of selling a property? He's 87 yo.

My father is 87yo and would like to avoid going anywhere to sign documents etc. Related to a sale of a property he owns. How much +/- it will cost?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: An attorney in Puerto Rico can represent your father for the purposes of selling real estate property, so long as your father is in full possession of his mental faculties and grants a power-of-attorney to authorize the Puerto Rico attorney to represent him in the sale. The power-of-attorney must specify the property registry description and lot number of the real estate to be sold, as well as the cadaster number of the real estate as filed in the Center for Municipal Incomes collections (CRIM, by its Spanish acronym), and the sale price.

If your father lives outside Puerto Rico, the notarized power-of-attorney must be certified with an apostille issued by the state government agency that oversees notary public commissions, stating that the notary's commission is active at the time of notarizing the power-of-attorney. Once the power of attorney arrives in Puerto Rico, a Puerto Rico attorney-notary (different than the attorney to be empowered) must protocolize the power-of-attorney by way of a deed poll and file it with the Powers-of-attorney Registry of the Office of Notary Inspections. The cost will depend upon the Puerto Rico notary retained for this purpose and may be provided privately to a client. Costs are not published through this forum.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.