San Jose, CA asked in Traffic Tickets for Oregon

Q: Impact of a traffic violation in OR and my chances of getting the ticket dismissed?

I got a ticket (violation) with two citations: speed 78/55 and pass in no pass zone. The specific circumstance involved the car in front of me slowing down and moving to the side of the road. Also I remember the officer verbally told me I was driving 74~75 when passing but he wrote 78 on the ticket. For these reasons I felt the ticket was unfair. The ticket was issued in Oregon (Cannon Beach, Clatsop County) and I'm a resident in CA. I have a good driving record. I'd like to ask:

(1) How many points would be added to my CA DMV record?

(2) What are my chances of fighting the ticket, and what would be the best way to find resources?

(3) Will this affect employment background checks if I apply for jobs in the future? (I work in engineering product design, R&D, not driving related positions)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA

A: 2 violations, 1 point count for each conviction, total 2. Fighting speeding, not good, passing, possible. Background check, minimal effect, unless you have an FTA and a warrant is issued. This case arises under traffic ticket law. You need to discuss with an attorney in Oregon that specializes in this kind of law. Thank you for using Justia, Ask a Lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.