Spring, TX asked in Family Law and Child Support for Texas

Q: Medical Support / Medicaid / Texas

In our final order, I, the father and non-custodial parent, am responsible for 50% of my daughters' medical support. For more than half the time since 2012, her mother, who is responsible for the other 50%, has either registered my daughter with Medicaid or my daughter has had no medical coverage whatsoever. It is my contention her mother has potentially committed Medicaid fraud by having my daughter remain on Medicaid while having an income well above the legal limits. Can there be a credit or clawback of funds paid but not used for medical insurance purchases?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Typically, the non-custodial parent is responsible to provide health insurance coverage for the child. So, in the typical case, no. If your divorce decree or custody order contains non-standard provisions, whether you are entitled to any credits or clawback will depend on the language of the particular decree or order. You should take the decree or order to a family law attorney in or near the county where the custodial parent resides with the child.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.