Newport, KY asked in Identity Theft, Small Claims and Criminal Law for Kentucky

Q: I gave permission for someone to use my debit card to purchase one thing online and they purchased multiple things

A former friend had my card saved on their Xbox account and asked if they could use it to purchase something. I gave permission to use it for purchasing one thing, but not 10+ things. We both were in agreement that they would pay me back in full. (This person has a restraining order from their ex btw). I have tried to resolve this with them for a month now, but everytime I have asked they make an excuse for why they don't have the money i.e. they don't have a job, they got kicked out of their apartment, they can't give the money back yet. They blocked me on social media and my phone number. I have no way to now solve this personally and have to take it legally. I'm wondering how much of a case do I have in this matter. I'm a 20 year old college student (F) and I really do not have the extra money, I was attempting to be kind and now I am aware to be more careful moving forward. What all should I do in regard to filing charges against this person. They live outside my county. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Take a criminal complaint against them for Fraudulent Use if a Credit Card in your local district court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.