Asked in Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning for Puerto Rico

Q: No heirs to an abandoned home.

I have lived in this neighborhood for 6 years now and the home in front of mine is my neighbors daughter who passed a long time ago. I'm assuming there are no heirs but i'd like the property to be mine. How do I go about asking my neighbor about maybe getting the home?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: It may not be so simple. The Puerto Rico Civil Code states the order of an intestate succession: if the deceased owner left no descendants, and had no spouse, it would go to the deceased parents. If these are no longer living, it would go to the deceased siblings, nephews, and nieces, if none are living or exist, it will go to the nearest relative up to the sixth degree; after which, the estate would revert to the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (through the University of Puerto Rico). Any chance you may have of acquiring the property would have to entail deep research on your part to determine in the Property Registry who the owner is. Then, through an attorney, procure a death certificate from the demographics registry (which may be difficult if you do not know the exact date of death and the deceased's parents). Have you knowledge regarding any relatives of the deceased daughter?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.