New York, NY asked in Sexual Harassment and Employment Law for New York

Q: I was sexually harassed by a security guard at my previous job. I reported it to my manager and nothing was done

i stopped coming to work out of fear and was fired. Could I sue for sexual harassment?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Diederich Jr.
Michael Diederich Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Stony Point, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Legal remedies depend upon where you live. Federal law applies nationally, and includes Title VII protection against sexual harassment and gender discrimination. States and localities can enact laws that protect against sexual harassment. Different time requirements, and potential administrative exhaustion, may apply.

I recommend that you consult with an experienced employment lawyer, who can evaluate your situation. If you reported sexual harassment to management, and it did nothing, that may justify your quitting the job as a "constructive discharge."

Steven Warren Smollens agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.