Miami, FL asked in Child Support for Florida

Q: If I became sick two years ago and need a revision to my child support in Puerto Rico, what can I do?

I also do not if my child is going to college. He is 21 years old, plus he no longer lives with his parent. Do I still have obligation to pay monthly child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The first thing that you need to do is look at your current child support order. Any modifications will need to be in the court that issued the order. If the order is from PR then you need to contact an attorney there. In Florida, child support ends at 18. For a modification in Florida (reduction) it would only be effective from the date that you notify the court that you want a reduction. Therefore, if you needed a reduction two years ago that would probably not be valid. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.