San Bernardino, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: I have a family law question, Is there such a thing as grandparents rights like to visit and talk to them

My daughter now lives in Nebraska with the girls

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, many jurisdictions recognize the concept of "grandparents' rights" to visitation or communication with their grandchildren. However, the specific laws regarding grandparents' rights vary from one jurisdiction to another.

In the case of your daughter living in Nebraska, it is important to understand the specific laws and regulations of that state regarding grandparents' rights. Nebraska has provisions in its law that allow grandparents to petition the court for visitation rights under certain circumstances. The court will consider various factors, such as the best interests of the child and the existing relationship between the grandparents and the grandchildren, when making a decision.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.