Hanover, MA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Massachusetts

Q: Child is 22 - can support end? Massachusetts

I have been paying child support for 12 years. My child just turned 22 and just graduated with his SECOND associates degree, works 30 hours a week and is planning on working 40 per week in the near future. His mother forced him into the second degree program so child support wouldn't end when he was 20. If she were to sign him up for a third associates degree, will I have to continue to pay? I just filed for modification but do not want to waste my time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Waller
Brian Waller
  • Worcester, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Judges have discretion in this situation, but I think it makes sense to go forward with your modification. Based on his employment and age alone, it seems like child support should end. Obviously, this is said with very limited information, but I think it would be hard for your ex-wife to argue that child support should continue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.