Dayton, OH asked in Family Law and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: How can I get my dad out of my house if I own the house and he doesn’t help pay for rent nor bills and no Agreement made

I have my dad staying in my house (me and my husband own the house) and my dad doesn’t pay rent or bills and I want him to move out but he has mail that is coming to my house without my permission. Can I still make him leave ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: He is considered a tenant. You will have to file an eviction against him, and that process will take several weeks. Since it is likely to cause tension in the home, use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney who handles evictions so the process is done properly. Otherwise, if not done with all the proper paperwork and court filings, the judge could dismiss the eviction, and you would have to start over - so there would be more weeks of delay. An eviction is a permanent court record that can make it difficult to rent from a landlord who checks the records, and most due. An eviction can also lower a credit score, making it more difficult to find a new place. So you might want to tell him that to persuade him to find a new place without having to file the eviction to get him out.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.