Bethalto, IL asked in Foreclosure for Florida

Q: Once the certificate of title is transferred to the purchasing bank in a foreclosure how long does the previous owner

Have to vacate the property?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Clifton
James Clifton
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Technically, once title transfers to the new owner the previous owners should vacate immediately. However, that is not feasible in many circumstances, and the new owner who purchased the property at the foreclosure sale may be willing to give the former owner assistance with moving in an agreement that is known as "cash for keys." With a "cash for keys" agreement, the former owner agrees to deliver the home to the new owner in good condition on an agreed upon date at which time the new owner gives the former owner some amount of money to help offset moving expenses. Absent an agreement, the new owner will file an eviction to have the property cleared of any inhabitants after foreclosure. The time for finalizing an eviction varies by county and can be anywhere from several weeks to several months. Whether you are a former owner who needs help with "cash for keys" or a new owner that needs help with an eviction, schedule a free consultation to plan a course of action.

Barbara Billiot Stage agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.