Dallas, TX asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: Q: Filed a petition for custody based upon abuse and to establish child support what I’ll be the first step of this case

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you filed the petition and you had an attorney file it on your behalf, then please speak to your attorney and discuss this. If you filed it without an attorney, then please use the Justia Find a lawyer tab and search for family law/cusody/support lawyers in the parish the petition was filed----call a few of them, neet with them (telephone and/or in perosn), and hire the one with whom you are most comfortable. You do not want to go to court without a lawyer. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.