Philadelphia, PA asked in Child Support and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: Moved to NJ from PA & PA isn’t legally enforcing my support

I found on the Internet from a New Jersey official website that I can have New Jersey enforce my support order. Can someone please call me or let me know what I do to go about this because everybody seems to give me a run-around .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, if you now live in New Jersey, you can seek to domesticate your Penn court order for spousal support and then the New Jersey court system has the authority to “enforce your spousal support order” entered by the court in Penn but the New Jersey Court does not have the authority to modify the existing spousal support order, which can only be done by the court system in Penn (since it entered the prior court order for spousal support).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.