Cleburne, TX asked in Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Social Security for Texas

Q: I live in Burleson Tx. And I received my disability dated back to Jan 2020. I need to move closer to family for care.

Can I sell my property and not loose my disability?

2 Lawyer Answers
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Yes. You can move. Once you do, you should file to make the new home your "Homestead."

You can protect your assets with a "special needs trust" if you want to make sure, there are no problems with your disability income and status.

Be sure your lawyer knows how to create a Special Needs Trust. Call me office if you have a problem finding a lawyer.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Generally, receiving disability benefits shouldn't be affected by selling your property. Disability benefits are typically based on factors such as your medical condition and ability to work, rather than your assets or property ownership. However, it's essential to consult with a disability attorney or contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to ensure you understand any specific rules or regulations that may apply in your situation. They can provide accurate guidance regarding the impact of selling your property on your disability benefits and help you make informed decisions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.