Ooltewah, TN asked in Bankruptcy, Small Claims and Contracts for Georgia

Q: Should I accept the debt I was served with or say no and go to court? I need the easiest/cheapest way through this.

Hello, I was served with papers on May 23rd which started my 30 days to respond from Prestige Financial. I had filed bankruptcy, Ch. 7 in April 2021 and got a car through Prestige. They were 1 of many people that sent me letters about getting a car because I filed bankruptcy. I'm a married father of 2 little girls and we live paycheck to paycheck unfortunately as my income is the only 1 in our household. My wife has to have medication that costs me alot out of pocket every week. We have no money in the bank and if you were to add up everything in the mobile home we rent we probably wouldn't have even $10,000 worth of stuff all together. What would be best? I have read that I can't file bankruptcy again, 7 or 13 for at least 2 yrs and I am wondering if I need to accept the debt and recieve a payment schedule and start paying a little on the debt so it's not necessarily a set amount, I don't guess it would be anyways but idk. Or do I need to say no I don't accept the debt and get a date?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Determine whether you view the debt first. If you don’t, challenge it in court. If you do, try and negotiate a payment plan or lump sum payment to resolve. Consular sn attorney who can help you choose the right path.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.