St. Cloud, FL asked in Family Law, Divorce and Child Custody for Florida

Q: Can I obtain an attorney to assist me with mediation so that I can just get my regular weekend visitation unmonitored.

This has been going on since the end of 2018 into 2019. My ex accused my mother of being under the influence of drugs (she was age 65) when she exchanged the children with him. He would stop me from seeing them if I didn't give him $300/month for child support. Unfortunately after he stopped allowing me to see my boys I fell into a deep depression and relapsed on drugs but for a very short period of time. We have been to mediation 3x and he refuses to agree on anything unless it's his way. He wants me to pay for hair follicle tests every four months and pay for them on top of paying for child support. My middle son suffers the most in this whole situation with his behavior at home and at school. His father was hitting him and bruising him which i have pictures of and he did tell his school but nothing has been done. There is so much more but I have gone into debt and maxed out 3 credit cards with 2 lawyers whom have gotten me nowhere. I am still in the same place.

1 Lawyer Answer
Destardes Moore
Destardes Moore
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You can retain an attorney to assist you with mediation. If that is the only proceeding you would like to retain an attorney for, then you would need to search for attorneys who offer limited-scope representation. Any allegations of abuse should be reported to the proper authorities. Consult with an attorney regarding the specific facts of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.