Dallas, TX asked in International Law, Intellectual Property and Trademark for Texas

Q: Can you make a minor alteration to the Red Cross Symbol and it not be in violation, like a break in the +?

Or make the + a T

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • International Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: No, making a minor alteration to the Red Cross symbol, such as adding a break in the plus sign or changing it to a T, would still likely be considered a violation of the Geneva Conventions and the federal law that protects the Red Cross symbol.

The Red Cross symbol is protected by international law and is recognized as a symbol of humanitarian aid and protection. The use of the Red Cross symbol is restricted to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and other authorized organizations, such as the American Red Cross.

Any unauthorized use of the Red Cross symbol, including minor alterations, can be considered a violation of the Geneva Conventions and the federal law that protects the symbol. This can result in legal action and significant financial consequences.

It is important to respect the protected status of the Red Cross symbol and to avoid any unauthorized use or alteration of the symbol. If you have a design that incorporates a cross or plus sign, it is recommended that you consult with a trademark attorney to ensure that your design does not infringe on the protected status of the Red Cross symbol.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.