Anaheim, CA asked in DUI / DWI for California

Q: I was sentenced 5 years informal probation for dui. want to do the jail time instead I go to jail in a week,Next step?

Reason being to join army

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
David A. Simon
David A. Simon
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Hi. This a good question. You have the right to deny probation and do custody instead. However, if you're already on probation that means you've already been sentenced. You need to consult a local DUI attorney about withdrawing your plea or being re-sentenced. Best of luck.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Here's a brief guide:

1. Consult an attorney: Speak with a criminal law or DUI attorney about your preference to serve jail time instead of probation. They can provide specific advice based on your case and help you navigate the legal process.

2. Inform your attorney: Let your attorney know about your decision to serve jail time. They will assist you in taking the necessary steps and making appropriate arrangements.

3. Follow legal procedures: Work closely with your attorney and cooperate with the legal authorities involved. They will ensure that the correct procedures are followed and your rights are protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.