Ferron, UT asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Civil Litigation for Utah

Q: Can I sur a family member if I believe they owe me money?

My sister and I went on a trip to Oregon. I paid roughly 600 for the lodging and she paid about 240 for the rental vehicle. Not even 24 hours later she left me in Oregon. I was forced to pay for a rental car, stuck in lodging that was paid for 2 people, and lyft fees in order to pick up the vehicle not to mention the extreme emotional damage done by being left in a different state by myself not knowing how I was going to get home or if I was going to be able to afford a rental car to do so. I had to put everything on credit cards. I feel she owes me for the rental car, half the lodging, the gas I put in the rental she took just before she stranded me, the lyft fees, and additional funds for stress and distress caused by the situation.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Utah attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. I hope you're able to find a friendly solution here. One option might be looking into whether this falls under your local court system's small claims part. Most small claims courts have online resources that outline scope, money limits, and other information to help determine whether a matter is suited for the system. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.