Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Hawaii

Q: If I have split custody of my Son and don’t want him receiving vaccines how does that work in Hawaii

Me and mother disagree on vaccines and share legal custody 50/50. She has full physical custody.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick

A: You theoretically can ask the court that issued your custody order to give you the exclusive right to make the decision about vaccinations, or all non-emergency medical decisions, for your child.

But you will need to produce some pretty compelling medical evidence that your child has some particular health condition that makes it not in the child’s best interests to get vaccinated or to get particular vaccines.

In most states, either parent, and often stepparents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, or the child themselves, can provide consent to a healthcare provider to vaccinate a child.

This of course assumes the vaccine in question has been approved by the FDA to administer to a child of your child’s age.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.