Mountain View, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Construction Law for Florida

Q: I paid cash July 2021 a real estate construction in Oaklawaha near Ocala, FL, till today it's not nearly done. Need help

What can I do, with this cash purchase of this new construction, which dragged two years long and is still not nearly done? There're two liens on it, too, that are unpaid. Realtor said she is finding a new builder to finish the house, but new builder wouldn't give a finishing date. 90% funds are paid, but not nearly 90% of the house is done. Negligence from the realtor to the escrow office. Need help!

2 Lawyer Answers
Jane Kim
Jane Kim pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Naples, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You have to be careful how you terminate the contract with the initial general contractor. Construction/lien laws are pretty strict. I bet this GC will claim he is owed money too. I'd highly recommend retaining a lawyer in order to move on to the new builder. In fact, some builders may not take on this project unless the ties are properly severed with the old builder.

Good luck.

Barbara Billiot Stage agrees with this answer

A: I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. This is just one example of why everyone should have a real estate lawyer to represent them in any purchase. You will need to hire a real estate litigator to investigate the facts and advise you what can be done.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.