Asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Oregon

Q: Boyfriend got dv charges due to my ptsd response from ex husband. How do we get charges dropped.

My ex was very violent. Me and my current got in a very heated argument and I went into fight or flight because of ptsd. My current restrained me during the incident and some bruising was caused because of my struggle. I called the cops while still in a hysterical ptsd state of mind. I have mental health issues and altercations with men get over exaggerated in my mind while they are happening. I was abused for many years severely by my ex husband.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Sorry but it is not up to you whether the charges are dropped or if the District Attorney proceeds to trial and attempts to get a criminal conviction. Actions have consequences - both for you and for him. You can talk to his criminal defense attorney if you wish to see what, if anything, you can do. If he breaks the no contact Order which undoubtedly is in place, it will really hurt his existing case and likely create additional criminal charges against him as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.