Winter Garden, FL asked in Employment Law and Business Law for Massachusetts

Q: As the owner of a business in chapter 11, can I still be sued personally for a wage claim if it wasn't preserved?

My Florida based company had to file chapter 11, and the disputed wage claim was listed in the bankruptcy. The wage claim was never preserved by this person. However,I am still being sued in Massachusetts( where she lives,) personally for a wage claim that she never preserved. Isn't she barred from any wage claim against the company now since she never responded. If so, can she still sue me personally as the owner if there is no wage claim anymore? As a small business owner, I can't afford an attorney and can't find any reduced cost/pro bono attorney for this matter.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William J. Amann
William J. Amann pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Manchester, NH
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: I'm unsure what you mean by a wage claim "that she never preserved." This sounds like a case we may handled. Please contact me if it's related to Arete.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.