Detroit, MI asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Probate for Michigan

Q: Are there any Supervised Visitation places that supervise visits out in the community?

I currently have supervised visits with my child out in the community, currently that visits are being supervised by the person who has the Guardianship of my child. It is not working out, the person lies in court about my visits says nothing but negative things about my visit that are not true all to try and keep guardianship. I feel it is best to have a third party to supervise my visit so this person is neutral on both side and can give a true accurate statement on how my visits are going. I have listed other family members to supervise but the guardian refused them and stated she wants to do them. So I am asking is there any company in southeast Michigan who will supervise my visits out in the community? All I can find is companies that will do them at there facility.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Great question. To my knowledge, all supervision agencies would require on-site visits for liability reasons (they don't want their employees out some place they can't really control and in what could be a volatile situation). While not ideal (it costs time, money, and let's face it: who wants to enjoy parenting time in an agency), it may be a good idea for your situation so you can show the judge a neutral and hopefully positive track record. Supervised parenting time is not meant to be permanent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.