Brockton, MA asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Legal Malpractice for New Hampshire

Q: I was convicted of felonious sexual assault in 1999 (age 19) for a sexual act which technically occurred...

... In 1998 (age 18) with my 14 year old girlfriend. Though law is by no means my field of expertise, I've personally done a significant amount of RSA reading and Internet scouring hoping to find anything that could free me from this "brand" I'm forced to wear. With all the desperation of a drowning man, I decided to reach out to your firm to ask if you might know of ANY possible course of action to ideally remove this from my record but, even if getting off the registry is my only chance for hope, I'd take it. Getting off the registry would change my life so incredibly that I dare say having to live with the conviction part of it would suddenly seem a great deal easier. After all, I'm currently 43 and have spent 25 YEARS being forced to register over something I did when I was a kid. I could give you details of things which may benefit my case but I'm sure that info is more of a phone call. PLEASE HELP if you're able. I'm SO tired of the pain and darkness this has brought my life

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard D. Harden
Leonard D. Harden
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Lebanon, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: I understand your situation. RSA 651:5 defines a FSA as a "violent crime" and prohibits it from annulment. It is difficult to get removed from the sex offender registry. Here are a links to check:,sufficient%20to%20justify%20continued%20registration

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.