Gresham, OR asked in Traffic Tickets for Oregon

Q: Do light flashing laws of Washington dictate my vehicle equipment registered in Oregon?

I reside in Oregon near the northern boarder, and I frequently visit the neighboring state of Washington. I'm specifically talking about a motorcycle with a modulating rear brake light. In Oregon ORS 816.100 allows motorcycles to have a flashing brake light. In Washington under RCW 46.37.280 it states flashing lights are prohibited. Will I face any problems over in Washington if I set up my side case brake lights to flash?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA

A: I think you should be OK as long as you don't move to WA, or reside there for more than 10 days (unless you can prove it was a short vacation). The Commerce Clause of the US Constitution (you heard of that right??? Just kidding) says that no state may pass any laws that unduly burden interstate commerce. This would mean that WA cannot require vehicles to meet its particular equipment requirements if the equipment is allowed in other states. If you get a ticket, better be prepared with a copy of the OR statute allowing the lights. Or, have your lights configured to meet the WA requirement. I recommend you contact several attorneys in your area that practice this type of law, as soon as possible. Thank you for using Justia ask a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.