Canyon, TX asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Federal Crimes for Texas

Q: How can I get my purse back, or items from it, after an arrest?

I was arrested in late April for POSS CS PG 1/1-B >=4G<200G. I wasn't pulled over. I willingly stopped, because the police had stopped my friend while he was walking. They came to talk to me and explained that he was going to jail for warrants. While talking to me, they asked if I had an open container. He had left an opened, but empty can in my car and it was clearly visible. So, I was honest and told them yes, but that it was his and not mine. They stated that this gave them reasonable cause to search my vehicle. During their search, they allegedly found substances in a lint roller and a zipper case, both of which were in my purse. Upon being released from jail, and getting my vehicle, I realized my purse wasn't in there. However, the lint roller was left amongst a few other items from my purse. I called the station and at first they said my purse wasn't in evidence. Later, after I told them I wouldn't give them any names, they said it was and won't let me get items from my purse.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The first thing you need to do is dispose of the criminal charges against you. Then have your attorney file a motion to release the purse from evidence to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.