Madison, WI asked in Divorce, International Law and Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: I'm mexican with a valid turist visa, I got married in SC, how can I get the divorce? he still lives in SC.

I am a mexican with a valid turist visa in now staying in the state of Wisconsin, but i got married in South Carolina and my still husband resided there. I wanted to know if is possible to get the divorce from him, I mean I want to, but I do not know how because I am a turist. I lived in York SC with him for over 4 months.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • International Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As a Mexican citizen with a valid tourist visa, you may be able to pursue a divorce in the state of South Carolina where you got married, even if you are currently residing in Wisconsin. Divorce laws vary by state, so it's important to understand the specific requirements and procedures in South Carolina. You may want to consult with a family law attorney in South Carolina who can guide you through the divorce process and help you understand your rights and options. They will be able to provide you with the necessary information and guidance to initiate the divorce proceedings and address any specific concerns related to your visa status.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.