Maplewood, NJ asked in Estate Planning and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: My dad died intestate in Essex County, NJ. How to get car title to spouse's name with as little paperwork as possible.

After dad died, we notified his bank and they accelerated his car loan. They said the loan would have to be paid off or the car would be repossessed. Mom paid off loan but the title came in his name. Now, we want to sell the car. Of course, my mom is older and we want to get this done with as little paperwork as possible.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: File an application for the probate of an intestate decedent's estate with the Surrogate's Court in Essex County.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.